A/V: Artist Videos at the Drive-in
A/V: Artist Videos at the Drive-in, a one-night screening of contemporary video works at the Capitol Drive-in
This special program of short videos, like so much of 2020, is driven by a play of contradictions: visions of the future and specters of the past, apocalypse and utopia, live action and fantastical animation, darkness and light, the end and the beginning. Its content and character—shaped collaboratively by four local institutions—was guided by intuition and association, evolving in concert with the daily news cycle and our attendant hopes, dreams, and fears. The artworks are drawn from our permanent collections and beyond, uncommon drive-in fare for uncommon times. Populated by lizards, puppets, palimpsests, popcorn, an octopus, a werewolf, and a hearse, they aim to delight, surprise, and confuse, occasionally in equal measure.
Featuring moving image artworks by Lewis Alquist, Meriem Bennani & Orian Barki, Paul Clipson, Larry Cuba, Chris Doyle, Karissa Hahn, Max Hattler, Taro Izumi, Andre Leduc & Jean-Jacques Leduc, Jodie Mack, Takeshi Murata, Abigail Reyes, Will Rogan, Jacolby Satterwhite, and Tabaimo. DJ set and raffle by Oakland-based collective Smartbomb.
A/V: Artist Videos at the Drive-in is co-presented with the Exploratorium, the Institute of Contemporary Art San José, and the San José Museum of Art.
• Advanced ticket purchase is required. $10 admits one car.
• Watch from the comfort of your seats, back in and open the tailgate, or bring lawn chairs and blankets to set up outside under the stars.
• Audio is streamed through FM radio.
• Concessions and restrooms are open.
• West Wind Drive-In follows all county safety and health protocols. Find rules and restrictions here.