Canyon Cinema Pop-Up
The Canyon Cinema Pop-Up, is a three week occupation of Kadist’s storefront space (3285 20th Street in San Francisco, CA) in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission district. The initiative presents a broad selection from Canyon’s deep history, made accessible to the viewing public in the form of a video-library-loan program.
The public is invited to browse through and loan up to three titles from a collection of over 150 DVDs from over 50 artists that showcase the breadth and strengths of Canyon Cinema. Visually modeled on the video rental store, the Canyon Cinema Pop-Up stays true to the aesthetics of Canyon’s past, while it argues for the relevance and visual experience of film in a networked future.
In the room adjacent to the Pop-up there is a micro-cinema designed to enable visitors to instantly preview some of the works available for loan. It will also be used for the presentation of 16mm screening programs and discussions by local filmmakers and scholars.
Dates: December 4th – 21st, 2013
Hours: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday from 4-8pm
With films by Lawrence Jordan, Anthony McCall, Michael Snow
Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 from 6-9pm
Critical Mass by Kerry Tribe
Live performance with Emilie O’Hara and Nick Huff
Saturday, December 7th, 2013 at 5pm
Clowns, Japes, Jokes, and other Funny Business from Canyon Cinema
Presented by Jeff Lambert
Saturday, December 14th, 2013 at 5pm
Exception to the Rule
Presented by Janis Crystal Lipzin and Denah Johnston
Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 at 7pm
Gary Adlestein | Bruce Baillie | Claire R. Bain | Craig Baldwin | LeAnn Bartok | Sergio Bátiz | Jon Behrens | Gregg Biermann | Bill Brand | Gina Carducci | John Carney | Maïa Cybelle Carpenter | Paul Clipson | Bill Creston | Sandra L. Davis | Tom DeWitt | Valie Export | Victor P. Faccinto | Anna Geyer | Warren A. Haack | Barbara Hammer | Amy Halpern | Jim Hubbard | Chuck Hudina | Robert Huot | Takahiko Iimura | Denah Johnston | Lawrence Jordan | Shiho Kano | Lynn Marie Kirby | Saul Levine | Janis Crystal Lipzin | Rose Lowder | Kate McCabe | Toney Merritt | Andy Moore | Albert Nigrin | Tomonari Nishikawa | Tom Palazzolo | Eric Patrick | Antoni Pinent | Dana Plays | Luther Price | Abraham Ravett | Mary Beth Reed | Michael Robinson | Jay Rosenblatt | Ken Paul Rosenthal | Ben Russell | Lynne Sachs | Paul Sharits | Elizabeth Sher | Scott Stark | Mark Street | Mattilda B. Sycamore | Tyler Turkle | Walter Ungerer | Michael P. Walsh | Philip O. Weisman | Mark Wilson |
How it works:
• Sign up for a membership in the Pop-Up space
• 3 DVDs can be borrowed at once
• Rentals are for 1 week
• It’s completely free, but you will be charged $50 for any unreturned DVDs (we’ll take a copy of your credit card when you sign up for the membership, and destroy it when you’re done borrowing DVDs).
About Canyon Cinema Foundation:
Canyon Cinema Foundation is an advocate for independent moving-image media artists, dedicated to providing continued and meaningful support to the groundbreaking and innovative works in our collection. The Foundation manifests this commitment by:
• Nurturing scholarship and awareness with public programming at universities and cultural organizations worldwide.
• Partnering with other nonprofit organizations to further visibility of the works in the collection.
• Maintaining the quality of the collection by abiding by the highest standards of care and handling.
• Serving the artists we represent by providing resources that support preservation as well as the creation of new moving-image media that expands the boundaries and reception of cinema.
Canyon Cinema Pop-Up co-sponsored by Fandor