SF job opening: Gallery Associate
KADIST San Francisco seeks to grow its team of Gallery Associates beginning early October 2019. An integral member of the KADIST team, and reporting directly to the Exhibitions Manager, the Gallery Associate will play a primary role in assisting KADIST staff with presenting local programs to the public and with the management and development of an art collection and local programs. The Gallery Associate must be highly dependable and personable, with exceptional social and communication skills. The Gallery Associate should be engaged and knowledgeable about all Kadist local programs, including gallery operations, calendars, and hours. The Gallery Associate should have the ability to remember names and faces, and provide a generous source of information to the public when core team members are off-site or in meetings, including leading exhibition tours.
• Supervision of the gallery, monitor visitors during regular open hours
• Greet and record daily visitors, answer questions and field inquiries
• Provide visitors with details about artists and specific works, including occasional exhibition tours
• Promote current and upcoming exhibitions
• Ensure that all artwork remains untouched, prevent damage to any works in the gallery
• Operate audio-visual equipment
• Operate alarm and secure gallery when opening and closing
• Assist with prospecting and doing outreach to new audiences, individuals and groups
Collection and Communications (example of projects):
• Assist with developing communication/outreach tools and contact lists
• Assist with sustaining attendance and online traffic of local and international audiences
• Help facilitate the management of the collection inventory and logistics (e.g. updating inventory)
• Participate in the maintenance and publishing of collection-related editorial content for online
platforms (website, social media, etc.)
• Participate in creative projects related to the presentation of collection artists and works on social
• BA/BFA or MA/MFA candidate in Fine Arts, Museum or Curatorial Studies, Art History or related field
• Minimum 2 years of professional experience in the contemporary art fields.
• Exceptional social and communication skills
• Reliable and positive attitude
• Attention to details, thorough record-keeping skills, and problem-solving skills
• Availability for all shifts is a plus
Contractor position. Up to four shifts per week, from October 16, 2019 through January 25, 2020 (dates for winter holiday break to be announced). Hourly rate of $17-$20/hour commensurate on experience.
Gallery Associate shifts:
Wednesday 10am-5:30pm (occasional, additional evening shifts for public programs)
Thursday 10am-5:30 pm
If interested, please submit a CV, short paragraph of interest, and 2 references to [email protected] by October 1 with “Gallery Associate Position” in the subject line.
KADIST believes contemporary artists make an important contribution to a progressive society, their work often addressing key issues of our time. KADIST, a non-profit organization dedicated to exhibiting the work of artists represented in its collection, encourages this engagement and advocates for the relevance of contemporary art in our lives. Its programs develop collaborations with artists, curators and many art organizations around the world, facilitating new connections across cultures. Local programs in KADIST’s hubs of Paris and San Francisco include exhibitions, public events, residencies and educational initiatives. Complemented by an active online network, they aim at creating vibrant conversations about contemporary art and ideas.
3295 20th street, San Francisco, CA 94110
Gallery open hours: Wednesday to Saturday, 12pm–5pm